Sunday, March 19, 2017

Mischling

28664920


I was thrilled to read this book when I saw it had finally come out. Although there are so many Holocaust stories already, this one sounded as though it might have a different perspective and be told in a way that would be distinctive. 

Told from the viewpoint of twin sisters arriving in Auschwitz, they become part of the horrendous experimentation's performed by Mengele in Mengele's "zoo". I was prepared to be blown away by an emotional read that had so much hype behind it. 

Unfortunately, I was not. At all. Not only did I have a hard time getting into the story, I found that once I had sort of began to be interested in the characters, I was bored. I felt as though I was reading a story that was a high school creative writing assignment, and the words used were found by a thesaurus. I couldn't take the writing seriously. The characters are little girls, and although they are smart, no one talks like this. The writing had me feel somewhat disconnected: it wasn't believable.I felt as though there was no real story, just a lot of pretty words to fill up the pages.

I admit, I did not finish. It wasn't for me and I was too put off by the too flowery language and lack of a plot. Maybe if I had stuck with it the ending would have made up for what I felt I was missing, but I don't think so. I hardly ever stop reading a book.It's like a mission for me: once I start I cannot stop unless it's a dire circumstance. 

I felt this was the case.

I was pretty disappointed in this book. As far as I'm concerned it's not worth the praise it's been receiving. 

2/5 stars


No comments:

Post a Comment